Phrases Lesson #1: Common Greetings, Thanks, and Excuse Me
おはよう ございます ... Good Morning
こんにちは ... Good Afternoon
こんばんは ... Good Evening
どうも ありがとう ございます
... Thank you
どういたしまして ... "You're welcome"
Sorry / Excuse me:
すみません ... Excuse me
しつれい しました ... "I have done rude"
ごめんなさい ... I am sorry
Points of interest
- おはようございます literally means "it is early" in a very humble way
- こんにちは literally means "As for this day"
- こんばんは literally means "As for this evening"
- ありがとうございます literally means "I have appreciation", or something to that effect, in a humble way.
- しつれいしました literally means "I have been rude", or "I have committed a rudeness"
- Notice that しつれいしました is in the past tense - it means that you have done something rude and are now apologizing for it.